The British advance on Toconderoga and Saratoga under the command of General Burgoyne came down both sides of the Lake - including the Lake from St. John's Canada in June of 1777. With over 7,000 English, Canadian and German troops. Hundres of Native Americans, 138 guns and over 1000 "support" civilians. The large fleet on the lake consited of over 800 frigates, gunboats, sloops and bateaux. Large birch canoes caried 30-40 nativaes in each. The encampment was fortified at Flatrock near the mouth of the Boquet and a log fort was constructed two miles upstream to watch over the north-south road and the falls. The forces remained camped on both sides of the river for ten days. During which, Burgoyne issued his famous "Proclomations" to both the Americans and the assembled warriors of the Six Nations and the Algonquins.